[Cochlea-amp.] mechanical cochlear model

Martin Braun nombraun at telia.com
Thu Mar 18 08:00:47 EST 2010

Continuation of thread of same name from the Auditory List:
http://www.auditory.org/postings/2010/

Dear Peter and others,

> I thought a sound wave was defined as pressure differences traveling.

Quite write.

> But perhaps you're referring to some average pressure?

No, the average is zero both for sound wave without fluid volume
displacement and for fluid volume displacement, if the stapes swings
symmetrically around its zero point.

The difference we have to have in mind is the difference between diabatic
propagation of pressure at high sound levels and adiabatic propagation of
pressure at low sound levels.

A diabatic process occurs as soon as a membrane moves. As long as no
membrane is moved by the pressure propagation between stapes and hair cell,
we have an adiabatic process.

Can we perhaps also agree that in a selective process for sensitivity in
hearing an adiabatic process will always outperform a diabatic one?

Martin

Martin Braun
Neuroscience of Music
S-671 95 Klässbol